Friday 17 January 2020
The international coalition, led by the United States against ISIS, admitted that “many” American soldiers were wounded in the Iranian missile attack on January 8, against the Ain al-Assad air base in Iraq, which was carried out by Tehran in revenge for the killing of the commander of the “Quds Force” Qassem Soleimani.
The international coalition said, in a statement on Thursday reported by “CNN”, that “while no American forces personnel were killed in the Iranian attack on the Assad Air Force Base, many concussion symptoms were treated and are still being observed.”
The coalition statement stated that “the personnel were transferred from the Assad Air Force Base in Iraq to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany to continue the examination.”
“When they are deemed fit to serve, they are expected to return to Iraq again after examination,” the statement added.
A US military official told “CNN” that 11 service personnel were wounded in the attack, which was launched in response to the US air raid near Baghdad airport, in which the commander of the Iranian Quds Force Qassem Soleimani was killed on January 2.
After the Iran attack, the Pentagon said there were no casualties from the 16 rockets fired by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.
And last week, US Defense Secretary Mark Esber said that there were no casualties or minor injuries, whether they were in the ranks of US forces, the international coalition, contractors, and so on.
“We have corrected the record today,” said Jonathan Hoffman, the chief Pentagon spokesperson, to CNN. “These injuries were recognized today by the Secretary of Defense, and he issued a statement immediately.”
President Donald Trump has denied injuries among US soldiers at the bombed military bases, and Trump said, “All our soldiers are fine. Minor damage to the two targeted bases,” adding, “The missiles that Iran used to hit our bases were paid for by the previous US administration (Barack Obama) “.
– CBS News (@CBSNews) January 8, 2020