Morocco said that it appreciates constructive peace efforts to find a just and lasting solution in the Middle East, in response to the plan announced by US President Donald Trump for peace in the Middle East.
“The settlement of the Palestinian issue is the key to stability in the Middle East, and for this reason, the Kingdom of Morocco appreciates the constructive peace efforts made by the current US administration, in order to reach a just, lasting and equitable solution to this conflict,” said Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita.
Bouraita added that “the acceptance by the parties of the various elements is essential to ensure the sustainability of this scheme,” explaining that “if the economic dimension is important, then it is inevitable to complement it with a political dimension.”
The Moroccan minister said that his country “registers some elements of the intersection with principles and options that the Kingdom has always defended in this file, and the matter in particular relates to a two-state solution, as it relates to negotiations between the two parties as a preferred approach to reaching a solution, while maintaining openness to dialogue.”
Bureita added that the Kingdom considers that the legal status of Jerusalem must be preserved, saying that “the final decision must be the subject of negotiations between the parties in accordance with international legitimacy.”
And he bore a reminder that last year, the Moroccan monarch, Mohammed VI, met Pope Francis, who stressed in the “Jerusalem Call”, on the “need to ensure within the city freedom of access to holy places, for the benefit of the followers of the three monotheistic religions, while ensuring their right to perform their own rites in it.”
1 / 11.Press Statement by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates, Mr.#NasserBourita#Morocco Appreciates the peace efforts of the Trump Administration and wishes that a constructive peace process be launched#Thread pic.twitter.com/P7aWPCDROY
– Moroccan Diplomacy ?? (@Marocdiplo_EN) January 29, 2020
Moroccan King Mohammed VI chairs the Jerusalem Committee of the Organization of the Islamic Conference.
Moroccan politicians and activists have expressed their rejection of the American century deal.
Politicians, through their accounts on social media platforms, demanded Arab and Islamic action to confront and overthrow them.
And invited several Moroccan non-governmental organizations to protest Thursday in front of the American Consulate building in Casablanca, the largest city in the Kingdom, rejecting the deal of the century.
The organizations stressed their rejection of the deal aimed at “liquidating the Palestinian issue,” criticizing the administration’s bias.
In a press conference in Washington, US President Donald Trump announced the “Deal of the Century” in the presence of outgoing Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The plan, which was rejected by the Palestinian Authority and all Palestinian factions, includes the establishment of a demilitarized and “connected” Palestinian state through bridges and tunnels, and making Jerusalem the undivided capital of Israel.
The plan also recognizes Israel’s sovereignty over the Jordan Valley and its right to annex settlements in the West Bank.