Source: Beijing – France Press
Local authorities said a 69-year-old man died on Wednesday in central Chinas Wuhan city, which is widely believed to be the epicenter of the spread of this coronavirus, which belongs to the deadly SARS family.
The mysterious virus outbreak caused anxiety because of its association with the SARS virus (acute respiratory syndrome), which killed 349 people in China and 299 in Hong Kong between 2002 and 2003.
Meanwhile, at least 41 people have so far been infected with pneumonia associated with the mysterious new virus in China.
A statement issued late Thursday by the Wuhan City Health Committee also said that 12 people had recovered and had been discharged from hospitals, while five others were in serious condition.
The committee said that the man who died had contracted the virus on December 31, and after five days his condition had deteriorated as he contracted tuberculosis and many of his internal organs had been disrupted.
Two other similar cases were discovered in Thailand and Japan, where authorities in both countries stated that the injured had previously visited Wuhan, China, before entering the hospital.
The authorities in Wuhan announced that a seafood market is the epicenter of the virus, and this market was closed on January 1.
So far, it has not been confirmed whether the infection from one person to another is the cause of the outbreak, but the health committee said this hypothesis “cannot be ruled out.”