A rare brain condition that causes the death of a 3-year-old child during sleep

0
12


Due to a rare brain condition, a 3-year-old child died suddenly in his sleep as the family found their child, Frankie Grogan, unresponsive in his bed in his family’s home in Timberley, and his parents Sarah and James Grogan said he appeared to be “ unfamiliar ” in the hours leading up to his death. To wake up at night to have a drink and to feel warm.


Child

They said that they gave him the medicine and examined him while he was asleep, but they woke up the next morning to find his color blue, and according to the British Daily Mail newspaper, Frankie suffered from febrile seizures in his early years, but he had not had a seizure for five months before his death..

After his death, doctors discovered that he had developed a “very rare” brain condition that deformed the hippocampus – a condition associated with sudden death. “He was born three weeks ago but was in good health. At about seven months he started with a babysitter and settled immediately,” Ms. Grogan said..

She said that Frankie had his first epileptic seizure before reaching his first year and was transferred to Wethenshaw Hospital, where he underwent checks, and doctors said that he had a seizure and allowed him to return home, and he had several other seizures in 2017 and 2018, caused by a high temperature. Due to viral infections such as tonsillitis or ear infections.

“We used to take him to the hospital every time,” said Ms. Grogan. We tried with someone to deal with at home, but they were so scary that we kept taking him to the hospital after that, and we were told with the seizures that most children could get rid of them.

Before his death, his parents took his temperature, which showed that he was “warm” but “slightly above normal” for him, so they gave him Nurofen and finally put him to bed..

Then Frankie woke up at 4.30 am and asked his parents for a drink. His mother added, “He felt warm, so I gave him drink and water and put him back to bed.”“.

James had set the alarm at around 7 in the morning, but it was strange that the alarm went off before Frankie woke up, so he went to see him and found him, unresponsive and ‘blue’ in his bed. His mother gave him CPR upon landing before the paramedics arrived and tried to resuscitate him, he was transferred to Wethenshaw Hospital due to a cardiac arrest where he unfortunately died less than an hour later despite the efforts made by the doctors.

Child
Child
With his parents
With his parents

Rajiv Shukla, a consultant pediatrician at Alder Hai Children’s Hospital, presented the cause of Frankie’s death as a hippocampal deformity associated with sudden death, and pediatric consultant Labkung Young, who was involved in Frankie’s treatment for epileptic seizures, told the investigation that he was “shocked” after reading the autopsy report and Never heard of the case before.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here