New clashes erupted between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces in the Nagorno-Karabakh region a day after talks were held in Washington aimed at ending the fiercest fighting in the mountainous region.
Broke out Clashes New developments between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces in the Nagorno-Karabakh region after a day of talks held in Washington aimed at ending the fiercest fighting in the mountainous region in more than 25 years.
And the Ministry of Defense in Azerbaijan announced that there was fighting in the region and the surrounding areas.
Local officials accused the Azerbaijani forces of bombing buildings in Khan Kennedy, the largest city in the region, which Azerbaijan denied.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan separately, on Friday, in a new attempt to end the fighting for nearly a month, which Russian President Vladimir Putin said had killed 5,000 people.
The collapse of two Russian-brokered ceasefire agreements undermined expectations of a swift end to the fighting that erupted on September 27.
Forces say Azerbaijan It has made gains on the ground, including full control of the border with Iran, which Armenia denies.
Armenian provincial officials say their forces repelled attacks.
The President of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev, told the French newspaper “Le Figaro” that Azerbaijan was ready to sit at the negotiating table, but accused Armenia of being responsible for the continuation of hostilities.
The newspaper quoted him as saying: “We are ready to stop even today … but unfortunately, Armenia is flagrantly violating the ceasefire … if it does not stop, we will continue until the end with the aim of liberating all occupied lands.”
US President Donald Trump said there had been “good progress” in this regard, but did not provide details.