Former US President Donald Trump praised the Nigerian government’s decision to block the social networking site Twitter, after the site deleted a tweet written by Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari for violating established rules.
“Who are they to decide what is good and what is evil when they themselves are evil,” Trump said.
In a statement, the former President of the United States urged the countries of the world to block the social networking sites Twitter and Facebook, accusing them of not allowing “freedom of expression.”
It is noteworthy that Trump was prevented from speaking on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, after the events of the storming of the US Congress headquarters last January.
It was alleged at the time that Trump’s tweets and posts encouraged violence.
While the social networking site Twitter announced that deleting Trump’s account will be permanent, Facebook announced last week that blocking the account of the former US president, including his account on the Facebook-owned Instagram site, will continue for at least two years.
What did Trump say?
“I congratulate the country of Nigeria, which blocked Twitter for blocking its president,” Trump’s statement issued last Tuesday regarding Nigerias blocking of Twitter said.
He added that he would have been better as president to block Facebook in the United States when he was in power, but said that Facebook President Mark Zuckerberg “keep calling and coming to the White House for lunch, plus telling me all the time how wonderful I am.”
Trump announced his support for another social networking platform, which he did not name, suggesting that it would “appear in the picture and control this sector.”
The former US president suffers a lot while trying to attract the world’s attention to him since he was banned on the social networking sites Facebook and Twitter. A website launched by Trump last month was also suspended due to the lack of visits and interaction on it.
Why Nigeria blocked Twitter?
Nigerian authorities have accused the social networking platform Twitter of threatening the “institutional existence of the country by allowing the dissemination of false information and false news about it”.
The blocking of the site in Nigeria came after Twitter deleted a tweet by Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari in which he referred to the civil war that the country witnessed nearly forty years ago, which also included an indirect threat to supporters of a separatist movement in the southeast of the country.
The Nigerian government said last Saturday that the deletion of the tweet was “disappointing”, but it was not the only reason for the decision to “temporarily block” Twitter.
Lai Muhammad, Nigerias information minister, told the BBC that the Twitter platform was being used by Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the separatist EBOP movement, to directly attack the government in the southeast of the country.
He added that this is happening constantly, “deliberately and without taking into account the consequences of that.”
Alton, the professional arm of Nigerias mobile network operators, said it had been instructed to block access to Twitter from within the country.
The authorities in Nigeria have warned that they will prosecute anyone who violates this ban, but has not yet announced any arrests for this reason.
A group of human rights organizations announced that they had filed a lawsuit before the West African Regional Court against the decision of the authorities in Nigeria to block Twitter, which was based on the fact that this action is a violation of the human right to “freedom of expression”.
Some Western powers also condemned the Nigerian decision in addition to its condemnation by the Nigerian Bar Association.
Many Nigerians, including prominent politicians, news websites, and churches, continue to post tweets on the social networking site Twitter, which is blocked in Nigeria, via VPNs to overcome the blocking.
In contrast, Twitter said the temporary blocking of its social networking site in Nigeria was “extremely concerning”.
Meanwhile, Nigerias National Broadcasting Regulatory Authority announced that it will start “licensing all online broadcasting services and all social media activities,” according to a statement issued by the government.