Qatar to host the Formula One Grand Prix in November

0
5


In recent weeks and even months, the championship has tried to find an alternative to the races that were canceled due to the Corona virus pandemic and restrictions imposed on travelers, as a number of races were canceled, including Canada, Singapore, Japan and Australia.

وكما Our website “Motorsport.com” revealed earlierQatar was a candidate to host a Formula One race because of that.

The championship confirmed Qatar’s presence in the Formula One calendar for a period of ten years from 2023 to 2032. It will be the third round of a series of three consecutive rounds after Mexico and Brazil.

There will be no tour in Qatar during the 2022 season, as the country is focused on hosting the soccer World Cup, which will begin immediately a year after the first Formula One race. Then the championship will return in 2023 at a circuit that has not yet been determined, where preparation work is scheduled to begin soon.

Those involved in the championship were trying to find a possible alternative to the canceled Australian Grand Prix, as the choice was finally made at the Qatar Losail Circuit, which will host a grand prix for the first time in its history.

Losail Circuit opened in 2004 and now hosts a permanent round of the MotoGP World Championship, but it has not hosted major single-seat races since the Asian GP2 in 2009.

This means that Formula One will witness a mini-championship in the Arab world with 3 consecutive races: in Qatar (November 21) and two weeks later and for the first time in Saudi Arabia on December 5, in addition to hosting the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi for the final round on December 12.

A statement issued by the championship said: “There is a strong desire from the Qatari side to help Formula One, and of course, within this context, the image of a long-term partnership was discussed, where a contract for ten years was agreed.”

The statement continued: “The move from helping Formula One in 2021 to a long-term strategic partnership was short and simple, and the idea of ​​Formula One as a championship hosted by Qatar after the 2022 World Cup, was the driving force behind the long-term agreement.”

“As part of this long-term agreement, negotiations will continue regarding the venue for the 2023 Qatar Grand Prix, with more details to be revealed at a later time.”

Sergio Perez is currently the only F1 driver to have driven on the circuit previously.

He said: “I hardly remember the circuit. I remember it was very smooth because it hosts MotoGP races. I think it would be a good circuit.”

It is noteworthy that F1 racing director Michael Massi and Formula One sporting director Steve Nielsen visited the circuit after the Hungarian Grand Prix in order to assess the necessary equipment for the grand prix.

The changes include modifications to the entrance to the pit line, as well as to some side barriers and curbs, in addition to new buildings for teams and paddocks. As work began on these modifications in the past weeks.

For his part, Abdul Rahman Al-Mannai, President of the Qatar Automobile and Motorcycle Federation, said: “It is a very special and special day for motorsport in Qatar, and for our nation’s ambition to host major sporting events. I am proud of our ability to support Formula One by hosting a race in our country within such a short time frame, as well as To secure an outstanding long-term deal with Formula One.”

He continued, “This unique agreement means that Qatar will be home to both Formula One and MotoGP for the next decade, which are considered the pinnacles of the world of motorsport.”

“We have a proud history in motorsport and this is the next chapter for us. Qatar will be a fantastic F1 destination and we look forward to welcoming all the drivers, teams, media and fans very soon.”

Posts

Comments



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here