Google spokesman Jose Castaneda told Reuters the filing “mischaracterized emails that pointed to used and unrelated accounts,” and Alphabet Inc’s unit privacy disclosures have prompted regulatory and legal scrutiny in recent years amid growing public concerns about online surveillance. Internet.
Last June, users alleged in a lawsuit that Google illegally tracked their internet use when they were browsing in incognito mode in its Chrome browser.
And in a written update about preparations for the trial filed Thursday in US district court, users’ lawyers said they “expect to seek the removal” of Pichai and Google’s chief marketing officer, Lauren Tohill.
The lawyers, citing the Google Docs, said Pichai “was told in 2019 as part of a project run by Twohill that Incognito mode should not be referred to as ‘private’ because that risked exacerbating known misconceptions about the protection offered by browsing mode.” undercover”.
As part of those discussions, Pichai decided he “did not want to put incognito in the spotlight” and Google continued without addressing those known issues,” Castaneda said, the teams “routinely discuss ways to improve the privacy controls built into our services.” Google’s lawyers said they would oppose efforts to fire Pichai and Tuhill.
Last month, prosecutors dismissed Google Vice President Brian Rakovsky, who is described in the lawsuit file as the “father” of incognito mode, and testified that although Google states that incognito allows browsing “in private,” what it expects Users “may not match” reality, according to the plaintiffs’ writing.
Google’s lawyers dismissed the summary, writing that Rakosky also said that terms including “private,” “anonymous” and “invisible” with appropriate context “could be very helpful” in explaining incognito mode.