The British Ministry of Defense said in a statement today, Monday, the deployment of elements of the Russian “Wagner” group in the east of the country Ukraine.
More than 1,000 Wagner personnel, including senior leaders of the group, are expected to be deployed to carry out “combat operations,” the statement said.
He also indicated that Moscow is likely to re-prioritize Wagner’s operatives in order to use them in Ukraine at the expense of operations in Africa and Syria, “because of the heavy losses” it suffers.
The West accuses this Russian group of being close to the Kremlin and that its mercenaries have committed violations in Mali, Libya and Syria.
Both Ukraine and Russia were slandering accusations after the launch of the Russian military operation in the western neighbor, recruiting mercenariesNote that Kyiv, as well as Moscow, opened the doors for the participation of foreign fighters in the conflict.
Earlier this month, Russian President Vladimir Putin confirmed that he would allow foreign volunteers willing to fight to Ukraine.
Meanwhile, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu announced that “16,000 volunteers from the Middle East are ready to fight in the separatist Donbass region” in eastern Ukraine.
Pro-Russian soldiers in separatist Donetsk, eastern Ukraine – Reuters
In turn, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has confirmed more than once that his country welcomes Western fighters to join the Ukrainian forces in order to confront the Russians.
While Western countries, led by Britain and the United States, which formed a spearhead in the confrontation with Moscow during the last period, and other countries as well, warned their citizens not to engage in battles.
It is noteworthy that the Russian military battle, launched on February 24, is still continuing despite all international calls for calm, and despite the painful sanctions imposed on the Russians, which exceeded 5,000 penalties.
Britain also imposed more sanctions last week on Russian figures and entities, including the Wagner Group.